2015年12月16日星期三

What is your experience with Taobao, the Chinese version of Ebay?

First, taobao is only good in China. I've tried to get stuff shipping here, though they have a overseas taobao service, it took almost 2 months. Taobao agent 

But domestic wise, I think taobao has a much better seller customer service than eBay. My experience with eBay has always been like buying from one person, their private home stash kind of product. But taobao allows their sellers to take full advantage of customized sites, so it's basically a marketplace of online stores. The customer service is crazy, they're on you all the time finalizing your order and making sure you're satisfied. Also some stores offer personal shopper service and talk you through products, suggestions, etc.

Usually if there are things I need from taobao I ask around who's traveling and get them to bring it over here. I can pay with my US credit card with a fairly reasonable service fee which is pretty convenient. 


Now the things I buy are pretty random, mostly event related items like photo props, decorations etc. They're the exact same as the ones in the U.S. which are made in China, but cost so much less even with taking my "courier" out for a nice thank you meal.

That's just my experience. I've heard some horror stories. But I think the important thing is to choose sellers/stores wisely. Rating is very important, those little crown things. Really high ratings often don't mean good stores, I look for the ones that have blue crowns instead of gold crowns. They're more customer friendly and their products are more likely to be hand chosen/small scale/the seller actually goes to buy inventory versus mass produced through factory orders.

I've also noticed the regular taobao has a lot of knock off and straight up fake stuff. Mostly luxury brands. But regular taobao has much cheaper price in consumer products. Tmall has much higher prices, they don't sell knock offs, but they take a huge commission on the seller so I guess that's why the price is so high.

I hope this helps you a little in navigating taobao. You can always message me for help. I buy often for event productions.
China Ebay

没有评论:

发表评论